Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fare thee well Lou

So Lou Piniella is retiring after today's loss to the Altanta Braves. Ok, so they haven't played yet, but it's a safe assumption. Ohh, and since my last post the Cubs also traded some guy who used to play first...

But now Lou is retiring today, citing mom's health and his own I-don't-give-a-shittedness. Don't get me wrong, I liked Lou Piniella's tenure overall. He was handed two crappy teams backto back and told "Go. Win." What drove me nuts the most was his "I don't know what else to do" and "I've done everything" excuses. First, it was his job to know what to do, and second you didn't do everything (Lee/ARam 3/4 combo du jour). But all that aside, he did find some flexibility in "letting the kids play" and for the most part, made some decent moves, suicide squeezes, sending MArshall to left, etc. so I can't complain too much. He's the best manager we've had in recent memory, I'll give him that.

So go home Lou and take care of your mom. Quade will be the manager and Trammel will be written off - though what he did to piss Jim Hendry off, I'm not sure. But that's a who;e other conversation.

PS, I'm saving my farewell to Lee psot until after he leaves town, but this kinda trumped that.

No comments: