So I went on vacation this week, from last Friday until yesterday. Let's reflect on what we've learned:
Things we know:
- The Reds are a first-place team.
- The Cubs and Diamondbacks are not.
- The Cubs have become so irrelevant, I missed a game, and had no idea.
- Diamondbacks pitching sucks so bad, even the weak-hitting Cubs can average 8 runs per game. That's pretty fukken bad.
Things we suspect
- Maybe Aramis is starting to get it.
- The Cubs are still sellers.
- Ted Lilly is not long for this team
- Marlon Byrd is only an All-Star because he's sucked the least of all of them - and because Bud says everyone has to play.
The Cubs spent this last week crushing their fans hopes and then lifting them up again, undoubtedly so they can crush them again with a 34 game set in LA. While seeing Aramis Ramirez trot around the bases as opposed to back to the dugout was a nice change, we can't count on him to be "Back" until he does it for a few weeks, not jsut one series against the crappier-than-the-Cubs Diamondbacks. Time will tell, but this year's a wash. Carlos Silva, Ted Lilly, Ryan Theriot, Derrek Lee, Kosuke Fukudome - Don't forget to pack your toothbrush. And in some cases, the ridiculous wad of cash it'll take to move you.