Friday, December 3, 2010

Rest in Peace Ron...

Today is indeed a dark day for Cubs Nation. Say what you want about Ron Santo - and Lord knows, I've said things - if there wasw one man who represented the heart of this team, it was Ron Santo. For those of you just now hearing the news, Ron Santo passed away last night at the age of 70. I actually heard about it a while before everyone else did. I got a text, from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that you've been messing around.

I openly criticized Ron, at every opportunity, on his broadcasting abilities. But at the end of the day, he was almost universally loved by anyone who donned a Cubs hat or jersey - professionally or otherwise. The man laid everything out there to be seen/heard and made no apologies. I didn't enjoy that style, but many, many, many of you did, so who am I to argue. What I do know is that Cubdom has lost an icon and a legend, and is a little sadder for it - which is pretty darn sad after 102 years. So no jokes here Ronny. I owe you that much. Just gonna tip my cap to you and click my heels together and know they you're in that Big World Series in the sky.

Cheers Ron. Put in a good word to the Big Guy for us.

No comments: