Friday, June 11, 2010

Reflections On Championships....

A sad, sad fact occurred to me yesterday. I've seen every major sporting franchise in this city win a championship in my memorable lifetime. I remember every team winning. It's not like I was born in 1982 and was physically breathing with no real memory of the event. I was aware and still have memories of every franchise winning a championship except 1....

in 1985, I was 9 years old. I remember mostly the Superbowl shuffle. Yeah. I remember my brother and I actually made a parody video called the cuddle bear shuffle. "I'm the cuddle QB, knows as the huddle. When I'm picked up I love to cuddle." Hey. We were 9 and 12 and used teddy bears...

In the 90's, I was in my late teens. My clearest memory of the championships is driving home from Minnesota one night, we were listening to the finals on the radio and my friend who was driving said "Man, if we didn't have cruise control, we'd be going about 120 right now." The Bulls won that game. He was far more into basketball than I was, but it was still quite a dynasty.

In 2005, I was in my late 20's. I watched every World Series game and heard them win it all on the radio on my way home from watching most of the game at a birthday party in a bar. I remember telling my wife "Half the Sox stuff in here smells like moth balls and the other half still has the tag hanging off of it." At the time, I was supportive of the Sox - even bought a hat that I've never worn. But that was before I remembered what colossal douchebags Sox fans were. Now, I still don't give a rat's ass what the Sox do, except so much as I hope they fail so Sox fans will just shut the f*ck up.

In 2010, I sit, 33 years old. Father of 1.667. The Hawks have won Lord Stanley's Cup. I was a bandwagon jumper, but I'll probably stick around. I'm pretty stoked about all that's happening today - before 1:20 that is. So go Hawks!

Some day, I'll be significantly older than I am right now - or dead - and the Cubs will finally, finally win. They will cease to be the laughingstocks of professional sports and literally make history. How I will feel that day I can only guess at. But however I feel or whatever I do, it will probably not involve teddy bears.

1 comment:

The CyberWeasel said...

Did you have to mention the cuddle bear shuffle????
I really hope the Cubs drought does end in our lifetime (although I am sure Granddad did too)! I will be at the parade/rally for that one even if it is in my wheelchair or walker!