Sunday, September 21, 2008

Looking to the future

My HTML is goofy - scroll down...

















HomeAwayTotal
WLWLWL
Phillies221234
Mets20??2?0?
Brewers454?0?8?5?
Dodgers302252
Diamondsbacks301242
Marlins222143
Astros4544?89?

So here's the realistic list of opponents in the NL Playoffs, and the cubs respective records against them home/away. Kinda surprising actually.

Astros and Brewers have owned the Cubs at home - losing records against both at home. Milwaukee is pretty much our beeotch in Miller, but that's based on one series. We only have an overall losing record to the Phillies, but I can live with 4 and 3. We can eliminate the Astros and Milwaukee for round 1 - same division. Let's look a bit deeper.

Phillies - Great power lineup, but not as deep as the Cubs. Pitching staff is very good 1,2,3, and if you're not winning in the 9th, you're not winning. I'll take Cubs pitching over Phil's, but that doesn't mean I want to face them.

Mets - Much like the Brewers, you could be down 10 runs in the 9th, and not be out of it. In fact, I heard a rumor that the Mets bullpen tried to pull a parakeet out of a toilet after a game, and didn't save that either. Santana scares me, but the rest of their staff is above average, but hittable.

Dodgers - Manny and Blake made this a good lineup, but the rest of the team is not scary at all. The pitching staff is dang good - lowest NL ERA, and yet the Cubs did seep them at home and split on the road. This all happened pre-Manny/Blake tho.

Diamondbacks - Their pitching rotation scaqres the livving crap out of me. They have just enough hitters to not suck, but this is why they're probably not in consideration. We don't have to worry aobut the West unless the Brewers sell their balls to the Devil, so I'm trying not to freak too much. Prolly a little 2007 left in me as well...

Marlins - Oh, I'm sorry...were we supposed to take them seriously?

If I had a choice, in order of preference or most to least, I'd like to face Mets, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, then Phillies.

We'll see how it turns out. Another minute in the future...

No comments: